Born in Rossland, BC; raised in various small towns across British Columbia. BA and MA from UVic; PhD (focused on contemporary novelist Peter Ackroyd) from UBC. Interests range from dystopian literature and crime fiction to gender and sexuality. Also: fiction-writing (novels and short stories) whenever possible.
Personal and professional interests: contemporary literature (Canadian, American, British); environmental ethics; gender and sexuality; speculative fiction; queer literature; crime fiction.
- The Age of Cities
- This Location of Unknown Possibilities
- From Up River and For One Night Only
- Contra/diction: New Queer Male Fiction
- Carnal Nation: Brave New Sex Writing (co-edited with Carellin Brooks)
- Nation Plots: Historical Fiction and Changing Ideas of Canada (co-edited with Andrea Cabajsky);
- Blast, Corrupt, Dismantle, Erase: Contemporary North American Dystopian Literature (co-edited with Gisele Baxter and Tara Lee);
- The Matter of Murder: Murderous Acts, Cultural Contexts, Canadian Literary Media (co-edited with Gisele Baxter)
- Understanding Beryl Bainbridge
- American Hunks: The Muscular Male Body in Popular Culture, 1860-1970 (with David L. Chapman)
- “British Gay and Lesbian Short Stories”
- “The Queer Short Story, An Inverted History” (with Carellin Brooks) in The Cambridge History of the Short Story
- “The Queer Short Story, A Multinational History”