- Visiting Scholars
- Forms for Departmental Faculty
- Academic Careers
- Academic Dates to Note
- Room Availability Calendars
Revised July 8, 2015
The Department of English welcomes visiting scholars who wish to pursue research for a maximum of one year at the University of British Columbia. Anyone interested in applying for visiting status should apply in writing to the Head of the Department (see “Application requirements” below).
Because space and other resources are very limited, we can host only TWO internal visiting scholars at any given time. Internal visiting scholars will receive library access, shared office space, and a departmental mailbox. Moreover, internal visiting scholars will be included in the department’s intellectual and social activities.
In addition, the Department is willing to host up to three external visiting scholars. These will be provided with library access only (library access includes limited access to computers). They will, however, be informed of the Department’s intellectual activities.
(to be submitted by mail; only hard copy accepted)
- A curriculum vitae.
- A coherent description of the research plans, and, if possible, the name of a professor at the English Department whom the applicant would like to consult. (Candidates are strongly advised to obtain the written consent of the possible supervisor in advance of applying.)
- Proof of academic appointment and a letter of reference from the applicant’s Head of Department.
- Proof of financial support for the duration of the applicant’s visit to UBC. (We realize that at times financial support will be granted only once the English Department has invited the applicant to stay at UBC. In that case, proof of financial support can be submitted later. Please note, however, that such proof is essential for an applicant to be accepted as visiting scholar).
- Names and contact information for 2 referees.
PLEASE NOTE: Visiting scholar positions are not intended as a substitute for formal graduate study. Strong preference will be given to applicants who have already earned a PhD degree.
Applications should be sent to the attention of
Siân Echard, Head
Department of English
University of British Columbia
Buchanan Tower, Room 397
1873 East Mall
Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z1
Applications will be considered in December of each year for the following academic year. Each applicant must clearly state the dates and duration of the desired visit to UBC.
Careers & Employment
Teaching and research opportunities, when available, are posted here. There are currently no positions available in the Department of English (Vancouver).
Forms for Departmental Faculty
Peer Review of Teaching Report – Guidelines for Assessors, Peer Review of Teaching Summary Sheet and Report can be downloaded from here. For departmental and external faculty assessors only.
Academic Year: Dates to Note
|Term Begins||Tuesday, 6 September
*Imagine UBC – No classes, except for classes that start at or after 5:00 pm and meet only once per week
|Thanksgiving – Monday, 10 October
Remembrance Day – Friday, 11 November
|Term Ends||Friday, 2 December|
|Exams Start||Tuesday, 6 December|
|Exams Finish||Wednesday, 21 December|
|Term Begins||Tuesday, 3 January|
|Midterm Break||February 20-24|
|Family Day – Monday, 13 February
Good Friday – Friday, 14 April
Easter Monday – Monday, 17 April
|Term Ends||Thursday, 6 April|
|Exams Start||Monday, 10 April|
|Exams Finish||Friday, 28 April|
Add/Drop deadline dates: http://www.calendar.ubc.ca/vancouver/index.cfm?tree=3,45,99,0
Grades submission deadline:
Grades are due 7 business days following the date the examination was held, or 5 business days following, in the case of examinations written on the last 2 days of the examination period. For courses without final exams, grades are due 7 business days after the end of the term.