Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

English is a fabulous Major! To be eligible to declare a Major or Minor at the end of your first year, you’ll need 6 credits in 100-level English, which you can get in any of these ways:

One Writing course: we encourage students with an interest in literature and strong high school grades to take ENGL 100 (Writing about Literature) for your writing requirement (but WRDS 150 also counts as an English Writing credit toward the Major, so either one is fine).


One English literature course:  you can take ENGL 110 (Fiction, drama and poetry) or ENGL 111 (Non-fiction). Keep an eye out for the small, 42-student special sections of ENGL 110 for students who might want to be English Majors (offered on a Tues/Thurs schedule).

OR you can take Arts One, or ASTU 100 in CAP—as long as it adds up to 6 100-level credits in Writing and English Literature in the Faculty of Arts, you will be qualified to move into the English Major.


  1. Inform yourself about your Faculty's Communication Requirement and find out which courses are required or recommended for your degree program.
  2. Check the sections and schedules for the first-year English courses being offered in the term(s) for which you are registering
  3. Register for your first-year English course(s) on your registration date. If you would like to register for 6 credits of first-year English in the Winter Session, be sure to register for one course in Term 1 and one course in Term 2. You are only permitted to register for one first-year English course per term.  In the event that you cannot register directly into a First-Year English course, please see Registration Suggestions.

Students with an AP English mark of 4 OR 5, a Higher-Level IB English mark of 5, 6, or 7, or an Advanced-Level English literature mark of "B" or "A" from the British system are eligible for advanced credit in first-year English. Advanced credit for AP, IB and British-system Advanced-level courses is assigned by Enrollment Services.

If you receive AP or IB credit, you are eligible to skip over 100-level English courses and jump into our exciting 200-level offerings (though if you are in Arts, you may still have to take a Writing Requirement course in one term, so do double check!). Look here for individual courses, topic descriptions and reading lists.  You’ll need a bit of technical help registering, so email Nicole at so that she can register you!

For further inquiries, please contact the Admissions Office at 604-822-3014 or at AP, IB and British-system A-level credits are based upon final grades only; predicted grades cannot be considered.

For further information on AP/IB credit, please visit,279,0,0.


First-year English courses generally follow the English Department Attendance Policy which states that attendance is expected, and that students who miss 40% of class hours may be barred from the final examination.

In addition, students who are reported to have missed the first three hours of their first-year English course (or another substantial block of class time) will be sent an Attendance letter by email; this letter is copied to the student's Faculty.

Yes! Lots of students who liked English in high school end up in other Faculties, but still want to take English courses as electives, or even as a Minor. We welcome you in first-year courses like ENGL 110 (Approaches to Literature) or 111 (Non-fiction) or 140 (Theory of English Language).

And yes, you can choose English courses for your Breadth Requirements or just as fun electives. At the 200-level, you can take brilliant traditional literature courses like British, Canadian, American, World, or Indigenous Literatures (220-224) or contemporary courses like Television Studies, Literature and Film, Literature and the Environment, Comics and Graphic Media, Children’s and YA Literature, or Science Fiction and Fantasy (242-248).

And yes, as long as you have third year standing and 3 credits of 100-level English, you are eligible for our upper-level courses too.

If you enjoy reading great books and talking about narrative across media, embrace it! Choose a course you might really love, and see what happens…

If you have been accepted to UBC and you have earned a previous degree at a North American university (where English is the language of instruction) but have not taken the equivalent of 6 credits of UBC first-year English coursework, you may be eligible to write the Exemption Examination. Proof of completion of a previous degree must be presented when the test is written.

Learn about the English Exemption Examination