Thematic Research Area
BA, MA, University of British Columbia
PhD, University of Toronto
My teaching, research and supervisions are in media theory. Working broadly in the wake of my University of Toronto mentor, Marshall McLuhan, I have published three books on McLuhan and maintain the website spectresofmcluhan.arts.ubc.ca. Experimenting with critical performativity, I have published Marinetti Dines with the High Command (2014) and SpeechSong: The Gould / Schoenberg Dialogues (2020). In 2023, SpeechSong was presented as a video installation at the West Den Hague Cultural Centre in The Netherlands, part of their exhibition devoted to Douglas Hofstadter’s Gödel Escher Bach. Forthcoming books include Mediatic Shakespeare (UTP) and The Explorations of Edmund Snow Carpenter: Anthropology Upside Down (MQUP). Co-founder of UBC’s Bachelor of Media Studies program, I teach courses in media studies and on the book as medium. I am currently supervising a dissertation on lyric poetry after Web 2.0.
My research is in the area of Media Theory, with a special focus on the work of Marshall McLuhan.
- Speechsong: the Gould / Schoenberg Dialogues (Goleta, CA: Punctum Press, 2020)
- Friedman House (San Francisco: ORO P for UBC School of Architecture, 2017)
- Remediating McLuhan (Amsterdam: Amsterdam UP, 2016)
- On the Nature of Media(ed.) (Berkeley and Hamburg: Gingko P, 2016)
- Marinetti Dines with the High Command (Toronto: Guernica, 2014)
- McLuhan in Space: A Cultural Geography (Toronto: UP, 2002)
- “Canadian Cinema and the Intellectual Milieu,” The Oxford Handbook of Canadian Cinema, ed. W. Straw and J. Marchessault (Oxford UP, 2017)
- “Mediatic Shakespeare,” Shakespeare in Canada (U of Ottawa P, 2016)
- “Anthems and Anthologies,” Anthologizing Canadian Literature, ed. R. Lecker (Waterloo: WLUP, 2015)
- “Canadian Literature and Cultural Memory,” The Oxford Companion of Canadian Literature, ed. C. Sugars (Oxford UP, 2015)
- “In-Corporating the Global Village,” McLuhan’s Global Village Today, ed. C. Birkle (London: Pickering and Chatto, 2014)
- “On the 50thAnniversary of Understanding Media,” Journal of Visual Culture 1 (2014)
- “From Earth City to Global Village: McLuhan, Media, and the Cosmopolis,” Architecture and the Canadian Fabric, ed. R. Windsor-Liscombe (Vancouver: UBC P, 2011)
Additional Information - Teaching & Research
I am the founder and / or member of the founding committee of a number of innovative teaching initiatives, including the Bachelor in Media Studies Program (principal founder); the Critical Studies in Sexuality Program (founding committee); the School of Journalism (founding Board member); and the International Canadian Studies Centre (founding Director).