Thematic Research Area
Period/Nation Research Area
BA, MA, University of British Columbia
PhD, University of Toronto
My research focus on media theory and Canadian Studies finds common ground in my publications on foundational media theorist Marshall McLuhan. I am the author of McLuhan in Space: A Cultural Geography (U Toronto P, 2002) and of Remediating McLuhan (Amsterdam UP, 2016), the editor of On the Nature of Media: Essays by Marshall McLuhan(Gingko, 2016), and the curator of spectresofmcluhan.arts.ubc.ca. I have also written the critical performance piece, Marinetti Dines with the High Command (Guernica, 2014), and the architectural study Friedman House (ORO, 2017).
My research is in the area of Media Theory, with a special focus on the work of Marshall McLuhan.
- Friedman House (San Francisco: ORO P for UBC School of Architecture)
- Remediating McLuhan (Amsterdam: Amsterdam UP, 2016)
- On the Nature of Media(ed.) (Berkeley and Hamburg: Gingko P, 2016)
- Marinetti Dines with the High Command (Toronto: Guernica, 2014)
- McLuhan in Space: A Cultural Geography (Toronto: UP, 2002)
- “Canadian Cinema and the Intellectual Milieu,” The Oxford Handbook of Canadian Cinema, ed. W. Straw and J. Marchessault (Oxford UP, 2017)
- “Mediatic Shakespeare,” Shakespeare in Canada (U of Ottawa P, 2016)
- “Anthems and Anthologies,” Anthologizing Canadian Literature, ed. R. Lecker (Waterloo: WLUP, 2015)
- “Canadian Literature and Cultural Memory,” The Oxford Companion of Canadian Literature, ed. C. Sugars (Oxford UP, 2015)
- “In-Corporating the Global Village,” McLuhan’s Global Village Today, ed. C. Birkle (London: Pickering and Chatto, 2014)
- “On the 50thAnniversary of Understanding Media,” Journal of Visual Culture 1 (2014)
- “From Earth City to Global Village: McLuhan, Media, and the Cosmopolis,” Architecture and the Canadian Fabric, ed. R. Windsor-Liscombe (Vancouver: UBC P, 2011)
Additional Information - Teaching & Research
I am the founder and / or member of the founding committee of a number of innovative teaching initiatives, including the Bachelor in Media Studies Program (principal founder); the Critical Studies in Sexuality Program (founding committee); the School of Journalism (founding Board member); and the International Canadian Studies Centre (founding Director).