I received my B.A from Wilfrid Laurier University and my M.A. and PhD from Queen’s University (1992). After a postdoctoral fellowship at UBC, I worked at Simon Fraser University until 2001, when I moved back to UBC. I write and teach in the following areas: post-1945 British literature, with emphasis on the Thatcher years; the relationship between print and film cultures, and image and text more generally, with focus on the status and function of screenplays as print texts; and the life and work of the British/Canadian writer Malcolm Lowry.
I welcome graduate students with research interests in the areas of post-1945 British literature and culture; the relationship between print and film cultures, or text and image more generally; and the life and work of Malcolm Lowry.
I am currently involved in the “Editing Modernism in Canada” project. The project’s mandate is primarily directed toward the production of critically edited texts by modernist Canadian authors. Website: http://editingmodernism.ca/
- “‘We cannot wait to feel at home’: Performing Bodies from Thatcherism to Brexit in the Poems of Jackie Kay.” Forthcoming 2021 in Contemporary Literature.
- “Leaning forward eagerly”: Malcolm Lowry’s Moviegoers and In Ballast to the White Sea.” In Remaking the Voyage: New Essays on Malcolm Lowry and In Ballast to the White Sea. Ed. Helen Tookey and Bryan Biggs. Liverpool: Liverpool University Press, 2019. With P. Tiessen.
- “Malcolm Lowry’s ‘Lost’ Novel: From Paris Stories to Canadian Ashes to Archival Return.” In Translocated Modernisms. Ed. Marta Dvorak, Dean Irvine and Emily Ballantyne. Ottawa: University of Ottawa Press, 2016. With P. Tiessen.
- Malcolm Lowry’s Poetics of Space: New Critical Essays. Ed. Richard J. Lane and Miguel Mota. Ottawa: University of Ottawa Press, 2016.
- The 1940 Under the Volcano: A Critical Edition. Ed. Miguel Mota and Paul Tiessen. Ottawa: University of Ottawa Press, 2015.
- “Malcolm Lowry’s ‘Lost’ Novel: From Paris Stories to Canadian Ashes to Archival Return.” In Translocated Modernisms. Ed. Marta Dvorak, Dean Irvine and Emily Ballantyne. Ottawa: University of Ottawa Press. With P. Tiessen. Forthcoming.
- “Greenaway’s Books: Peter Greenaway’s Published Screenplays.” Journal of Screenwriting 2.2 (2011): 227-246.
- After Lowry. Documentary film. Writer and Director. 2010.
- “Boys Will Be Hooligans: History and Masculine Communities in John King’s England Away.” Critique: Studies in Contemporary Fiction 50.1 (Spring 2009): 261-274.
- Doing the Malcolm Lowry Walk. Soundscape Installation. The Malcolm Lowry Walk, Cates Park, Dollarton, North Vancouver. July 25th, 2009.
- “Mike Leigh’s High Hopes: Troubling Home in Thatcher’s Britain.” Film Criticism 32.3 (Spring 2008): 24-40.
- “Derek Jarman’s Caravaggio: The Screenplay as Book.” Criticism: A Quarterly for Literature and the Arts 47.2 (Spring 2005): 177-213.
- “What’s in a Name? The Case of jeanettewinterson.com.” Twentieth Century Literature 50.2 (Summer 2004): 192-206.